Monday, May 21, 2012

Wasim Salfiti Avoids Inconvenient Facts

I'm pulling single duty on blogging today because Zach's at a conference, so I don't have time to go into a long, in depth analysis of Wasim Salfiti's article on his family's "Nakba" experience. I just wanted to point out the dishonesty of one paragraph within the article, the most important paragraph, because it describes the fighting that led to the Nakba:
"I later learned from my grandparents, who refused to join us on that trip, that my family's story was not uncommon. In April 1948, they boarded a bus to Amman, hoping to wait out the violence. Their exile was made permanent after Israeli troops "liberated" Ramleh in July of that year and expelled most of the town's majority Arab population. The one relative who had stayed behind to look after the family properties, which subsequently passed into Israeli government ownership, had to walk to Ramallah, from where he made his way to Amman."
By April 1948, the fighting between the Jews and the Palestinian Arabs had been happening for months. According to Benny Morris, " In defiance of the will of the international community, as embodied in the UN General Assembly resolution of November 29, 1947, (Palestinian Arabs) launched hostilities against the Jewish community in Palestine in the hope of aborting the emergence of the Jewish state and perhaps destroying that community."  No mention of this launch of hostilities, or the goals of the Palestinian Arabs, are mentioned by Salfiti. Why should he mention them? Better to pretend that "the violence" simply appeared all by itself, and the IDF attacked his town of Ramleh for no reason. In reality, Ramleh was positioned on the main supply route to Jerusalem, giving it great strategic value.

Whenever the Palestinians or their apologists talk about the Nakba, they always pretend it just happened to them for no reason, that they were minding their own business when the mean old Jews just kicked them out. Why should we expect an HP blogger to be any more honest?


  1. The Arabs like to begin the story of 1948 as of April 1948 even though after the first week of when the U.N. announced the partition plan on Nov. 29, 1947 the Arabs declared a protest strike and instigated riots that claimed the lives of 62 Jews and 32 Arabs. In March alone, 271 Jews and 257 Arabs died in Arab attacks and Jewish counter­attacks. The siege of Jerusalem was taking place for month's prior to April, where 100,000 Jews were being starved by the Arabs blocking roads and convoys for relief.

    The Arabs were blunt in taking responsibility for starting the war. Jamal Husseini told the Security Council on April 16, 1948:

    The representative of the Jewish Agency told us yesterday that they were not the attackers, that the Arabs had begun the fighting. We did not deny this. We told the whole world that we were going to fight.

    For further info:

  2. The thing to remember about all of these "nabka" tales is that they are all a bunch of embellished hogwash.

    Remember, all of the Arabs who left (as compared with the very few who were actually expelled) did so in order to facilitate the hoped-for genocide of the Israeli Jews. They wanted to help the Arab armies destroy the indigenous inhabitants of Israel and then steal their property. This makes them COLLABORATORS of the invaders and thus just as guilty as those who were the actual combatants. They gave up their rights to any property or life in Israel.


Hey guys we've started to employ a slight comment policy. We used to have completely open comments but then people abused it. So our comment policy is such: No obvious trolling or spamming. And be warned: unlike the Huffington Post we actually enforce our comment policy.